Xenia Simons Miller
Xenia Simons Miller, Class of 1934, is best known as a patron of the arts for the City of Columbus and the State of Indiana. Alongside her husband, J. Irwin Miller, the Millers shared a vision and left a legacy for philanthropy, fine arts, contemporary architecture, and preservation in the City of Columbus and beyond.
The Millers worked closely with City leaders and through the Cummins Engine Foundation to bring art to Columbus by encouraging leading international figures and major architects to utilize their talents to design schools, churches, and other civic buildings. They also created the Indianapolis Museum of Art – Columbus Gallery and co-commissioned the Chihuly glasswork on display at the Columbus Area Visitor’s Center. They also led the restoration of Franklin Square.
Xenia has received the Sagamore of the Wabash in 1975 and 1983, as well as honorary degrees from MacMurray College, Butler University, Saint Mary of the Woods College and Christian Theological Seminary. Local and regional awards include the Columbus Mayor’s Art Award and the Most Influential Woman of 1974 by the Indianapolis Star Magazine.
The Millers were founders of North Christian Church. Xenia was the first Chairperson of the Board for the Indiana Endowment for the Arts.